Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Are UTV's allowed on Osage roadways?
A: UTV's are allowed on Osage streets EXCEPT they can only make a direct cross on South 7th Street and they are not allowed on or to cross Highway 9 and Highway 218.

*UTV's can only be operated between 5 am to 10 pm and must have proper lighting from sunset to 10 pm.

*They are not permitted in any city park or playground without permission from the park board.

*UTV's must have insurance.

*ATV's are NOT allowed!!

*Violations of this ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of $100, or imprisonment in the county jail for 30 days or both such fine and imprisonment.

*See the complete ordinance here - Osage Ordinance No. 945

Q: Where do I pay fines?
A: City of Osage parking fines should be paid at the Osage City Hall or Osage Police Department.  All other traffic fines should be paid at the Mitchell County Clerk of Court.

Q: Can I burn leaves in the city limits of Osage?
A: There is no burning of yard waste in the City Limits of Osage.  

Q: What are the pet laws in Osage?
A: A few common animal ordinances are below:

*Number of animals are limited to 3 to a household - of which no more than 2 can be dogs. 55.23(1)
*You must have your animal within an enclosure or upon a leash when such animal is left unattended outside or is not at heel.  If your animal is caught at large you will be responsible for any pound fees and/or fines. 55.08
*It is unlawful to let your animal to cause a noise disturbance (ex. barking) or to run after person, bicycles, or vehicles.  If your dog has a continuous problem of barking you will be cited to court. 55.21

Q: I came to your station and it was locked up, how can I contact an officer?
A: There are officers on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  You can call 641-732-3777 which will ring over to the communications center after business hours and they will dispatch an officer.  Our business office is open Monday-Friday 8 am-3 pm.

Q: How can I obtain a police report?
A: You can obtain a copy of a police report by phone, mail or front desk of the Police Department.  There is a photocopy fee for each report.

Q: When should I use 911 and what is the routine number?
A: Anytime you have an emergency you should dial 911.  Other non-emergency or routine calls should be made to 641-732-3777 or Mitchell County Sheriff's Office at 641-732-4740.

Q: How long can I park my car, truck, trailer or camper on the street?
A: Any vehicle, trailer, camper or trailer that is left parked upon a street for a continuous period of seventy-two (72) hours or more may be ticketed and/or impounded.  On certain streets, and as posted, all night parking is prohibited.  Osage Ordinance 69.13(4)

Q: What is the snow ordinance in Osage?
A: Whenever snowfall on residential streets or public parking lots has accumulated to a level of one (1) inch or more by seven thirty (7:30)am on any day, it is unlawful for any person to park, abandon or leave unoccupied or unattended any vehicle on the street or parking lot until such street has been completely plowed from curb to curb and such public parking lots completely cleared. Osage Ordinance 69.15

Q: How long can I park on Main Street?
A: It is unlawful to park any vehicle for a continuous period of more than one (1) hour between the hours of nine o'clock (9:00) a.m. and five o'clock (5:00) p.m. on each weekday on Main Street from Third Street to Ninth Street on the South side and from Fifth Street to Ninth Street on the North Side.        
Osage Ordinance 69.13(3)

Q: How should I display my house number?
A: All residences and businesses are required to clearly display their house or business number on such building.  This will save a great deal of time for all emergency personnel responding to a call to your home or business in a time of emergency.  Osage Ordinance 150.03

Q: Do I need a fence around my pool?
A: A swimming pool is any pool or open tank not located in an enclosed building and is filled greater than 1 1/2 feet.  It does need to be fenced to prevent uncontrolled access by children from the street or adjoining properties.  Such fence shall not be less than five (5) feet in height.  Osage Zoning Ordinance 18-4

Q: Does the Police Department unlock vehicles?
A: We no longer have the equipment to unlock vehicles.  If you need assistance you should call Eichmeier Auto Repair or Nicholson Repair and Towing.

CALL US  +1.6417323777
Osage Police Department

This is just a few frequently asked questions - Or fill out the form for any others that aren't answered here!